Apple recently released its best operating software so far. OS X Mountain Lion went into top paid category in no time soon after its release to the world. Personally I have never found any OS update to be so easy to update. But for the new Mac user it may not be that easy. There must be many questions running into new Mac user who just might have shifted to Mac from a Windows machine. This post will solve all the queries regarding how one can update to OS X Mountain Lion and what must be taken care of before clicking the download button in the Mac store.
Requirements to update your Mac to OS X Mountain Lion:
1) Can your Mac run Mountain Lion?
The requirement for Mac to run Mountain Lion is:
- iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminium, or Early 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
- Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
2) If your Mac meets the above requirements, your next step is to check your current OS X. Make sure you have latest Lion or Snow Leopard. If your current OS X is not the latest one, update it!
3) If everything is fine until step 2, now it’s time for you to proceed to Mac Store and purchase the latest OS X Mountain Lion.
Before you click on purchase button I would like to aware you about few things. Updating OS X Mountain Lion is a continuous process. It is updated just like any other software from Mac store where a software is first downloaded and than installed automatically. Your Mac will remain as it was post the update. You will not lose any data. So in case if you do not have any external drive to back up your data, you can go for update without any worries. But as we know there can always be exceptions because of any reason. My wise advice to you will be to back up your personal data to an external storage device for a safer side.
Below are the screenshot of the steps you will need to follow once OS X Mountain Lion has been downloaded. After download you will see a welcome screen requesting you to take the necessary steps.
1) Click on the continue button to proceed to next step.
2) Select a disc drive where you want to install your latest OS X Mountain Lion. If case you have a different partition you will see options to select from the various available disks.
3) Now click on “Install” option right below the selected disk drive you have selected on step 2.
The process will take approximately 20 minutes to complete. The process time also depends on the amount of data you have in your hard disk. Once the process has been completed, your Mac will start normally as it used to start prior to update and you will see everything as it was before. With this very simple steps you can easily update to OS X Mountain Lion without any pain to worry about re-installation of the software which was already installed in your Mac. This is the common problem with Windows users.
If you have any query regarding the OS X Mountain Lion update, feel free to post a comment below. You can also help your friends by sharing this tutorial on Facebook and Twitter.